F is for Halloween is the fourth episode of the first season.
When Frank denies a promotion from Sue's boss, Sue becomes angry with him and disappears. Meanwhile, Bill and Philip cower in fear on Halloween when Jimmy Fitzsimmons threatens to beat them up in their Halloween costumes. Kevin gets a little sidetracked with his friends while finishing his history homework.
Extended Plot Edit
The episode begins with Kevin, Bill, and Maureen watching a cheesy Halloween movie on TV. In the kitchen, Vivian awards Sue with an answering machine for the #1 sales-woman for September. She then offers Sue a promotion where they would pay her in money rather than free Plast-a-Ware bowls. Sue at first wonders how Frank would feel. Frank then arrives, making Vivian leave (before an encounter with Vic, who had a sexual encounter during high school) and Frank telling Susan he has big news. He tries to tell the family that Mr. Dunbarton awarded him the "Tie Tac of Excellence", but they are too fascinated by the answering machine. During dinner, they get their first message from Bob Pogo demanding Frank deal with the strike.
Meanwhile, Bill is excited for Halloween but is threatened by Jimmy Fitzsimmons that he will be beaten up if he wears a costume. Kevin is trying to work on his history assignment but can't find any peace in the house.
When Vivian calls to offer Sue the position, Frank answers the phone and lies saying Sue told him she doesn't want the job, before rushing over to the airport. While showing his pals how the answering machine works he realizes it records every phone call. He hurries home in a panic, but Sue has already heard what he said to Vivian and leaves him alone on Halloween. Frank tries to deal with the chaos at home, before tricking Maureen into coming with him to look for Sue.
Bill, meanwhile, calls Phillip and they both decide to go out for Halloween. But, Bill is spotted and beaten up by Jimmy and his gang. When Phillip came out of the house with his costume, he cowered away and left Bill. When things are getting worse, Bill manage to get away from Jimmy's brawl, acting like Haystack Calhoun. Assuming Bill is dead by Jimmy's R.K.O., he managed to sneak into the house, while Jimmy and his gang later found him in the house. Giving him a warning, Jimmy told Bill to stay in the house before he beats him up again.
Kevin tries walking to the library to finish the last question for his history homework, but is distracted by his friends. While getting drunk, he is given the answer to his question by Bolo, who reads the presidential trivia included on every label of White House Beer. Kevin calling himself a f*cking genius, finds the answer to the last question and finished his history homework. Frank eventually finds Sue at the batting cages, where she tells him she took her job.
- Title Reference: A combination of the show's title and the holiday Halloween, indicating that this is a Halloween special.
- The Murphys receive an answering machine, courtesy of Sue as a reward for selling the most "Plast-a-ware".
- Kevin is improving his grades.
- Mr. Coconut is a parody of Mr. Peanut, the mascot of Planters Peanuts.
- Frank tells Maureen "there are no girl vampires", however several female vampires did exist in pop culture before 1973 including the film Werewolf vs the Vampire Woman from 1971, Lilly Munster from the Munsters, a sitcom from the 60's, and Countess Marya Zaleska from the 1936 Universal horror film Dracula's Daughter.
- Frank also tells Maureen there are no girl astronauts, but he is wrong. The first woman in space was Valentina Tereshkova, who made her first voyage in 1963. However, due to the cold war and the space race, it isn't likely this would have been common knowledge to an average American in 1973, and the first American woman in space did not join NASA until 1978.
- This episode takes place on October 31, 1973, ten days after the events of the previous episode.