The Trough is the third episode of the first season of F is for Family.
Frank gets a call from Kevin's school letting him know he is still failing his classes. Because of this, Frank disinvites him to the game and decides to take Bill instead. When they get there they discover they are seated with Roger Dunbarton, CEO of Mohican Airways, and his wife Brandy. Roger begins to befriend Frank and Brandy takes Bill to use the bathroom where he is traumatized by the trough.
On the way home from they run out of gas, but Rosie is at a bar nearby and helps them out. When Bill mentions talking to Dunbarton at the game however, this makes Rosie think Frank is no longer on their side.
While left alone, Kevin meets up with Bolo and Lex to smoke weed. He brings a record with him to roll joints on, which happens to be one his parents used to play for him when he was little. He remembers how close he used to be with his dad and Frank telling him he'd always love him. This motivates Kevin to keep his promise of passing school.
- Title Reference: The specially designed urinals in the baseball stadium men's room that Bill had to/refused to use.
- This episode marks the first appearance of Mohican Airways CEO, Mr. Dunbarton.
- Frank's friendship with Rosie begins to fall through.
- Sue's job selling Plast-a-ware starts to improve.
- This episode takes place on Sunday, October 21, 1973, since Frank and Bill go to the football game using the tickets Frank was given in the previous episode, and the date on the tickets seen in the previous episode are dated Sunday, October 21, 1973.
- The Murphy's watch an episode of the Brady Bunch on TV.